Radical Image Optimization Tool (RIOT for short) is a free image optimizer that will let you to visually adjust compression parameters while keeping minimum filesize.
It uses with a side by side (dual view) or single view interface to compare the original with the optimized image in real time and instantly see the resulting file size.
The image optimizer is lightweight, fast and simple to use, yet powerful for advanced users.
You will be able to control compression, number of colors, metadata settings and much more, and select image format (JPEG, GIF or PNG) for your output file.
- open many image types including rare/scientific types
- save and optimize JPEG, GIF and PNG with a simple, clean user interface
- works in dual view: (original – optimized image) or single view (optimized image).
Automatic preview of resulting image
- in-place compare function (alternativelly display the original image over the optimized image to notice small pixel changes)
- compress files to desired filesize threshold
- fast processing (all is done in memory);
see instant results including resulting filesize
- batch support (process multiple files at once)
- transparency handling options
- decide if you want to keep metadata (comments, IPTC, Adobe XMP, EXIF profiles, ICC profiles).
Unsupported metadata is removed
- transfer metadata between image formats (destination format must support them)
- common tools: pan and zoom, rotate, flip
- basic image adjustments: brightness, contrast, gamma, invert
- visually reduce number of unique colors for PNG and GIF images in order to reduce filesize
(two quantization methods are available: Xiaolin Wu and NeuQuant neural net)
- resize image by using well known resample filters (ex: Lanczos3, Catmull Rom, Bicubic, and others)
- out-of-the-box support for external PNG optimizers (optipng, pngout, etc)
- the compression and the results are comparable to those of commercial products, even higher.
- Adaptive logarithmic tone mapping algorithm (Drago) used for HDR images
Input image types
- common bitmap images as well as Adobe Photoshop PSD files
- popular HDR formats and RAW camera images
- rare/scientific types (up to 128 bpp, integer and floating point)
- You should be careful when using in-place compare not to press two mouse buttons at once or click and release too fast.
- UseLatestCommonDialogs is ignored in the DLL version.
- automatic reductions/optimizations
- Convert 32 bit PNG to PNG8 with alpha
- twain scanner support
- jpeg smoothening
- define transparent regions (with variable transparency)
- crop function
- overlay image watermark
- Adobe Photoshop Filter support (8BF) – add GML Matting plugin for object extraction.
You can suggest new features and create polls for implementing them in the official forum.
Available as stand-alone executable (portable app) or dynamic link library for developers.
RIOT is used as plugin for programs like The GIMP, IrfanView or XnView.
This software uses a modified version of FreeImage open source image library. See http://freeimage.sourceforge.net for details. FreeImage is used under the FIPL license version 1.0.